- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Construction, Public Private Partnerships and Major Projects
- International Arbitration and mediation
- Corporate and Commercial
- Travel and Tourism
- Oil and Gas
- Banking and Project Finance
Emad El Shalakany joined the Firm in 1989, became a partner in 1999 and a senior partner in 2004. As Senior Partner of Shalakany Law Office and in addition to being a member of its Executive Committee Mr. El Shalakany was the head of the Firm's Corporate Department that directs a group of attorneys in different areas of practices to provide legal services to multinational and national clients.
Mr. Emad was also the head of the Firm's Incorporation Department that provides clients with a wide variety of services, ranging from advising on documents for establishing companies, branches. subsidiaries or international corporate structures, to giving corporate advice on day-to-day matters, attending Board and Shareholders meetings, and obtaining and registering official authorizations, licenses and visas.
A practicing attorney for more than 20 years, he is a specialist in major financial, industrial, and commercial transactions and has extensively negotiated, drafted, and concluded some of the major contracts required by some of the most important joint venture businesses in Egypt.
He practices in different aspects of law including public offerings, financings, mergers, acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, and dispute resolution.
Emad El Shalakany specializes in public infrastructure and large-scale installation and facilities projects carried out through public-private partnerships (PPP] and has developed considerable expertise and excellent working relationships with Government agencies and legislative authorities. He assists with the preparation and negotiation of tender offers for submission to public authorities, the relevant contractual structures and the arrangement of project financing and refinancing. He possesses an in-depth knowledge of public law relevant to all stages of PPP transactions, experience in the operational aspects of the construction and operation of infrastructures and public facilities and a thorough knowledge of financing needs.
Major deals handled by Mr. Emad El Shalakany include the following:
- Advising Kraft Foods Egypt on Merging Cadbury Egyptian Kraft Food Egypt for the value of approximately USD 1 Billion.
- The acquisition of 50% of Dublin Egypt by Madison Egypt Oil and Gas for US$6,500 Million.
- The acquisition of 30% of Shell Compressed Gas by Shell BV for EGP 6,000,000.
- The acquisition 51% of the shares of Lotus for Hotels and Resorts Company owned by AlFawares Holding Financial Investments (SAE) for EGP 75,000,0000.
- The acquisition of 100% of the Egyptian Beverages Company for US$30 Million.
- The Acquisition of 51% of Al Nakheel Hospital, SAE for US$50 Million.
- Mr. Emad represented DDB Europe Limited, an affiliate of OMNICOM Group in Acquisition of 45% of TN Holding for Investment, SAE, and LUV Media Limited for US$70 Million.
- Represented Solvay S.A. in the Acquisition of 100% of the state-owned Alexandria Sodium Carbonate Company which was part of the Egyptian Government's privatization process. For the value of L.E 760 million.
- Mr. Emad was the primary negotiator and drafter of the General Cleaning Service Contract and Solid Waste Treatment Agreements for Cairo, Dakahlia and Sharkiya Governorates.
- Mr. Emad was the primary negotiator and drafter of Cairo International Management and Operation Contract and was closely involved in the Cairo Metro arbitrations.
- Mr. Emad acted as the legal adviser for AMA Arab Environment Company AAEC, World Bank in relation to the Purchase of emission reduction agreement, Gas emission reduction measured in tons of C02 equivalent generated by the Cairo North MSW Project in the context of the United Nations Framework convention on climate change UNFCCC & the Kyoto protocol. The World Bank, International Bank for Reconstruction and development acting as the trustee of the following Carbon funds: the prop type Carbon Funds. The community development carbon fund, the Netherlands Clean Development mechanism facility, the Italian Carbon Fund, the Danish Carbon Fund, and the Spanish Carbon Fund. Gas emission reduction which is a complicate parameter representing contribution to pollution reduction mainly due to the composting and gas flaring in the landfill.
- Mr. Emad acted as the legal advisor for the Government of Egypt in several Public Private Partnerships [the "PPP"] projects and drafted the related Tender Documents and Contracts for the "Design , Build and Operation" of the West Delta Irrigation System on behalf of the Egyptian Ministry for Water Resources and Irrigation, as well as the legal counsel to the Egyptian Ministry of Finance in the preparation of the Tender documents and the Drafting of Agreements for the "Design, Build, Lease and Operate" of the Educational Institutions and Schools in Egypt on behalf of the Egyptian Ministry of Education.
- The Egypt Air in Flight Services Partnership Contracts are also being handled by Mr. Emad.
- Mr. Emad played a key role in the drafting of the new law issued by the Federation of Egyptian Industries and adopted on April 6, 2009. The law came in the context of developing laws and legislation by the Federation to strengthen its role as a leading organization in the industrial area in Egypt, and thus to achieve an effective implementation of the Federation's functions. This new law shall impact the long-term development of Egyptian Industries as it regulates the establishment of industrial chambers with special emphasis on the important role played by the Federation and the member chambers. The law was issued and approved by the Board of Directors of the Federation of Egyptian Industries; and recently Mr. Emad was the main drafter of the Federation of Egyptian Industries law and contributed to the drafting of the Egyptian Unified Industrial Law issued by the Ministry of Trade and Industry.
- Mr. Emad has successfully represented the Egyptian Group for Multi-Purpose Terminals (EGMPT), a state-owned concessionaire of Piers 55-62 in Alexandria Port, in a Joint Venture with CMA Terminals Holding (CMATH) jointly with CMA Terminals, one of the top ten international container terminal operators. The Project is for a total value exceeding 1 billion Pounds and aims at equipping, managing, operating, and maintaining a multipurpose terminal entitled Tahia Misr Terminal (Piers 55-62) Alexandria Sea Port.
- Mr. Emad has Provided for TMH Egypt with legal advisory services and drafting the Contracts of:
- Purchase and supply of 1300 passenger coaches to ENR “ Egyptian National Railways
Contract for Transfer of Knowhow and Operation of Coaches plant.
- Services Maintenance of 1300 Passenger Coaches to be entered into with ENR
- Mr. Emad assisted Ariane Group in their Agreement with Egyptian Ministry of Defense (MOD).
- Mr. Emad assisted LG Electronics Egypt in submitting their documents at the Egyptian Competition Authority.
- Mr. Emad acted for Blumberg Grain in relation to the supply and installation contract for 92 grain aggregation centers successfully delivered to the Egyptian government. Blumberg Grain USA LLC, a Delaware limited liability company (hereinafter referred to as “Developer”, “Contractor”, “Blumberg”, “Blumberg Grain”) construct and deliver a manufacturing plant export hub in Egypt (the “Industrial Hub”).
- Mr. Emad is the Lex Mundi's Europe/Middle East/Africa Regional Vice-chair, a member of the Egyptian Bar Association [since 1989]. the International Bar Association and the International Forum for Travel and Tourism Advocates "IFTA", in addition to being a fellow at the Chartered Institute of Arbitration London, Board member of the Egyptian Alternative Dispute Resolution Association and an Arbitrator at the Cairo Regional Center for Commercial International Arbitration.
- Mr. Emad is a leading lawyer by the IFLR 1000, and he is also a "recommended lawyer" by the Legal500 for Corporate and M&A.
- Mr. Emad is a board member of Merits - a nonprofit alliance of independent law firms worldwide for 2015-2018.
- 1973 B.A. in Tourism and Hotel Management, Cairo University
- 1977 B.A. in Commerce, Mansoura University
- 1983 Diploma in Human Resources Management, Cairo University
- 1989 LL.B., Alexandria University
- 2008 Basic and Advanced Mediation Training Programs co-organized by the USAID, the General Authority for Investment and Free Zone "GAFI" and TAPR II, he further completed the Mediation Qualifying Program and the Mediation Train the Trainer Program the same year.
Member of the Egyptian Bar Association.
Arabic and English.