- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Construction, Public Private Partnerships and Major Projects
- International Arbitration and mediation
- Corporate and Commercial
- Travel and Tourism
- Oil and Gas
- Banking and project finance
Arabic and English
- 1989 LL.B., Alexandria University
- 1977 B.A. in Commerce, Mansoura University
- 1973 B.A. in Tourism and Hotel Management, Cairo University
- 1983 Diploma in Human Resources Management, Cairo University
- 2008 Basic and Advanced Mediation Training Programs co-organized by the USAID, the General Authority for Investment and Free Zone "GAFI" and TAPR II, he further completed the Mediation Qualifying Program and the Mediation Train the Trainer Program the same year.
Mr. El Shalakany was also the head of the Firm's Incorporation Department that provides clients with a wide variety of services, ranging from advising on documents for establishing companies, branches, subsidiaries or international corporate structures, to giving corporate advice on day to day matters, attending Board and Shareholders meetings and obtaining and registering official authorizations, licenses and visas.
A practicing attorney for more than 20 years, he is a specialist in major financial, industrial, and commercial transactions and has extensively negotiated, drafted, and concluded some of the major contracts required by some of the most important joint venture businesses in Egypt.
He practices in different aspects of law including public offerings, financings, mergers, acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and dispute resolution.
Emad El Shalakany specializes in public infrastructure and large-scale installation and facilities projects carried out through public-private partnerships (PPP) and has developed considerable expertise and excellent working relationships with Government agencies and legislative authorities. He assists with the preparation and negotiation of tender offers for submission to public authorities, the relevant contractual structures and the arrangement of project financing and refinancing. He possesses an in-depth knowledge of public law relevant to all stages of PPP transactions, experience in the operational aspects of the construction and operation of infrastructures and public facilities, and a thorough knowledge of financing needs.
Mr. El Shalakany regularly provides legal advice to the public sector on public private partnership transactions, to private companies on business acquisitions and to vendors and purchasers in commercial real estate transactions (including sale and lease transactions), to landlords and tenants in commercial leasing transactions and to utilities and public authorities with respect to the acquisition and interpretation of statutory rights of way, easements, restrictive covenants and other land issues.
He has worked in a wide variety of industries, including retail, distribution and logistics, health and medical, education, sports, free zones, media, hospitality and entertainment, international shipping, real estate, information technology, environment, natural resources and energy. Mr. El Shalakany is also involved in the negotiation and drafting of major contracts, legal due diligence reports, offering circulars, corporate mergers and acquisitions and also has represented clients in both arbitrations and mediations.
Mr. El Shalakany was the main drafter of the Federation of Egyptian Industries law and participated in drafting the Unified Industrial Law.
Major deals handled by Mr. Emad El Shalakany include the following:
- Advising Kraft Foods Egypt on Merging Cadbury Egypt into Kraft Food Egypt for the value of approximately USD 1 Billion
- the acquisition of 50% of Dublin Egypt by Madison Egypt Oil and Gas for US$ 6,500 Million;
- the acquisition of 30% of Shell Compressed Gas by Shell BV for EGP 6,000,000;
- the acquisition of 51% of the shares of Lotus for Hotels and Resorts Company owned by Al Fawares Holding Financial Investments (SAE) for EGP 75,000,0000;
- the acquisition of 100% of the Egyptian Beverages Company for US$ 30 Million;
- the Acquisition of 51% of Al Nakhil Hospital, SAE for US$ 50 Million;
- Mr. Shalakany represented DDB Europe Limited, an affiliate of OMNICOM Group in the Acquisition of 45% of TN Holding for Investment, SAE and LUV Media Limited for US$ 70 Million;
- He represented Solvay S.A. in the Acquisition of 100% of the state-owned Alexandria Sodium Carbonate Company which was part of the Egyptian Government’s privatization process at a value of L.E 760 Million;
- Mr. Shalakany was the primary negotiator and drafter of the General Cleaning Service Contract and Solid Waste Treatment Agreements for Cairo, Dakahlia and Sharkiya Governorates;
- Mr. Shalakany was the primary negotiator and drafter of the Cairo International Management and Operation Contract, and was closely involved in the Cairo Metro arbitrations;
- Mr. Shalakany acted as the legal adviser for AMA Arab Environment Company AAEC, for the World Bank in relation to the Purchase of emission reduction agreement, with Gas emission reduction measured in tons of CO2 equivalent generated by the Cairo North MSW Project in the context of the United Nations Framework convention on climate change UNFCCC & the Kyoto protocol. The World Bank, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development acted as the trustee of the following Carbon funds: the prop type Carbon Funds, the community development carbon fund, the Netherlands Clean Development mechanism facility, the Italian Carbon Fund, the Danish Carbon Fund, and the Spanish Carbon Fund. Gas emission reduction is a complicated parameter representing contribution to pollution reduction mainly due to composting and gas flaring in landfills;
- Mr. Shalakany acted as the legal advisor for the Government of Egypt in several Public Private Partnerships (the “PPP”) projects and drafted the related Tender Documents and Contracts for the “Design , Build and Operation” of the West Delta Irrigation System on behalf of the Egyptian Ministry for Water Resources and Irrigation, as well as the legal counsel to the Egyptian Ministry of Finance in the preparation of the Tender documents and the Drafting of Agreements for the “Design, Build, Lease and Operate” of Educational Institutions and Schools in Egypt on behalf of the Egyptian Ministry of Education;
- The Egypt Air In flight Services Partnership Contracts are also being handled by Mr. Shalakany;
- Mr. Emad El Shalakany played a key role in the drafting of the new law issued by the Federation of Egyptian Industries which was adopted on April 6, 2009. The law came in the context of developing laws and legislation by the Federation to strengthen its role as a leading organization in the industrial area in Egypt, and thus to achieve an effective implementation of the Federation’s functions. This new law shall impact the long-term development of Egyptian Industries as it regulates the establishment of industrial chambers with special emphasis on the important role played by the Federation and the member chambers. The law was issued and approved by the Board of Directors of the Federation of Egyptian Industries; and
- Recently Mr. Shalakany was the main drafter of the Federation of Egyptian Industries law and contributed to the drafting of the Egyptian Unified Industrial Law issued by the Ministry of Trade and Industry
Emad is a leading lawyer recommended by the IFLR 1000 and he is also a “recommended lawyer” according to Legal 500 for Corporate and M&A.
Emad was a board member of Meritas – a nonprofit alliance of independent law firms worldwide - from 2015-2018.